BJC Job Opening: Communications Manager
The mission of the Communications Manager is to expand the base of support for religious liberty by engaging key constituencies, with a primary focus on digital media and press relations. The Communications Manager works alongside the Director of Communications and across staff in implementing BJC’s strategic communications program and defining key messages to convey the importance of religious liberty for all people and the separation of church and state.
- Translate overarching communications goals into comprehensive communications strategies, plans, and tactics that take into account social media, email marketing, web, and live content opportunities. These plans should both drive brand growth and empower and inspire people to take action.
- Manage, create, publish, and optimize original, high-quality, creative digital content that ensures the BJC’s nuanced messages are accurate, accessible, and engaging. This could include websites, social media platforms, photography, videography, and staff presentations.
- Oversee email marketing, including the calendar, promotional planning, creative design, execution, and deployment of development and other campaigns.
- Administer all BJC social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube) as well as social media accounts for BJC principals.
- Drive a data-informed approach by establishing key benchmarks and tracking social media, email, and other digital communications metrics.
- Ensure that all digital communications activations are designed in collaboration with various departments
- Develop and maintain relations with key media outlets through targeted communication.
- Increase awareness of organizational mission through placement or coordination of interviews, op-eds, events, and other public-facing opportunities to media at the local, regional, and national level.
- Field incoming media inquiries and develop contacts in both traditional media and digital media and with other industry and community influencers critical to BJC’s mission.
- Draft and develop various forms of media correspondence including statements, press releases, media kits, op-eds, blogs, and other commentary.
- Prepare BJC spokespeople for media appearances and track media hits.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in communications, media relations, public relations, or journalism.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience as well as excellent written and verbal communication.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Confident and adaptable self-starter who can innovate new strategies, prioritize, and manage projects from inception to completion.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Understanding of, or interest in and willingness to learn about, different Baptist denominations and Baptist history.
Desired Technical Skills:
- Website content management systems (WordPress preferred)
- Design software (Adobe InDesign and Photoshop preferred)
- Photography and videography skills
This position works closely with BJC staff members and reports to the Director of Communications.
To apply, please send the following to [email protected]:
- Cover letter
- Three samples of work that demonstrate ability to succeed in this position. Suggestions include a social media campaign, video, journalistic writing sample, press release, and graphic design.
The position is open until filled. Applications received by October 31 will be reviewed in the first round.