BJC Job Opening: Director of Development
BJC is seeking an experienced Director of Development to lead a comprehensive fundraising program at an exciting point of change for a leading faith-based advocacy organization. Established in 1936, BJC recently rebranded and has new and immediate opportunities for expansion and deepening of its base of support at a time when its long-established mission of protecting faith freedom for all people – people of all religions and those who do not affiliate with any faith tradition – is immediately relevant and critical.
The Director of Development will manage all integrated fundraising strategies, including annual, major, monthly and planned gifts, foundation giving, denominational and church giving, gift processing and stewardship, data management, and events. The Director of Development works across the organization and reports to the Executive Director.
The responsibilities of the Director of Development include:
Strategy and Direction
- Provide strong, creative, and strategic leadership by setting ambitious but attainable goals that will increase annual operating and endowed funds.
- Determine vision, direction, and execution of plans to build and manage a full-scale development program, both near- and long-term.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate strategies to significantly broaden and deepen the base of support from individuals, with a specific emphasis on major donors. Building on recent investments and foundational planning, establish a major gifts program, implementing systems and processes to build an effective pipeline.
- Engage donors in BJC’s work, showing how their joyful financial partnership ensures faith freedom for all.
- Cultivate relationships with donors to understand giving motivations, interests, and opportunities for increased engagement. Facilitate relationship-building between donors and the Executive Director and other staff.
- Steward relationships to recognize donors in personal, meaningful ways.
- Craft annual fundraising campaigns including mail, digital, and social media.
- Invite donors to join the James Dunn Legacy Circle as a long-term means of building BJC’s endowment.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit grants from foundations.
Board and Staff Role
- Engage and provide leadership to board members and other volunteers, as well as staff, in strengthening and expanding fundraising efforts.
- Serve as a member of BJC’s senior management team.
- Manage development department, including setting revenue targets, supervising and motivating other development staff, and leading the planning and execution of first-class events. Set and track departmental budget.
Experience, Skills and Personal Characteristics
- At least ten years of progressively more responsible fundraising experience, which includes experience in developing and implementing major gift fundraising operations, a track record of personally securing five- and six-figure gifts from individuals, and a history of successfully working with senior staff and organization volunteers in fundraising activities.
- Bachelor’s degree is required and graduate degree is preferred.
- Stellar interpersonal and networking skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to craft and articulate a persuasive case for support.
- Experience with event planning and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and manage development professionals.
- Excellent judgment and innovative problem-solving skills.
- Personal dedication to religious liberty for all and church-state separation.
- Understanding of, or interest in and ability to learn about, BJC’s core constituent groups, including various Baptist denominations, churches, clergy, and lay leaders.
- Commitment to reaching beyond existing core constituent groups to bring new donors into BJC’s work.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings at times, and to maintain a travel schedule necessary to visit donors and prospective donors.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]. This position is open until filled.