How to recognize a “real” Baptist
if you see one
By James M. Dunn
1. If soul liberty is important.
2. If the priesthood of all believers is more than a slogan.
3. If one insists on interpreting the Scriptures for themselves.
4. If one defends the right of each person to come to the Bible and, led by the spirit, seek its truth.
5. If one believes that one must accept Jesus Christ personally.
6. If the church functions as a democracy.
7. If in the fellowship of churches each one is autonomous.
8. If there is no pope or presbyter, president or pastor who rules over you.
9. If religious liberty is the password to public witness and the separation of church and state is its essential corollary.
10. If no mortal has the power to suppress, curtail, rule out, or reign over the will of the local congregation.