in a pandemic
As the COVID-19 pandemic grips our world with uncertainty, we at BJC are continuing with the important work of supporting faith freedom for all. While the day-in, day-out work of our mission may seem less urgent as we face a global public health crisis, the heart of our mission remains vital. Ensuring that every person has the freedom to believe and to act on those beliefs without unnecessary government interference is core to a flourishing human existence.
This page provides quick access to our resources connected to the coronavirus pandemic – including analysis pieces, podcasts, news updates and commentary.
At BJC, we are leaning into that first word in our tagline – faith – and our distinctive nature as a faith-based group. Our inclusive coalition includes people from many religious traditions and those who don’t identify as religious but who respect and support our faith-based perspective. Whatever differences we may have in beliefs, practice, and identity, we all have been made keenly aware of our shared humanity, with all its frailty and vulnerability as well as its capacity to seek a relationship with the divine and to view the world as something bigger than ourselves.
- Commentary: More than one faith, more than one story
- Commentary: As the country opens up, what does the Lord require us to do?
- Commentary: Pandemics bring grief and fear. We must respond with social solidarity, not scapegoating.
- Podcast: Religious freedom in the age of coronavirus
- Commentary: Learning from chaplains as we respond to the coronavirus
- Podcast: Christian nationalism during the coronavirus pandemic
- #GivingTuesdayNow: See how friends of BJC are serving others during this time
- Podcast: Finding the right response to reopening
- News: Religous communities are doing more than just staying home (April 10, 2020)
- News: Florida pastor arrested for holding services, other congregations meeting in defiance of COVID-19 related orders (April 2, 2020)
- BJC analysis: COVID-19 stimulus packages and houses of worship
- Podcast: New laws — including the CARES Act — and houses of worship
- Podcast: Stay-at-home orders, religious freedom and RFRA
- Commentary: School voucher proponents are using the COVID-19 crisis to push for taxpayer money for religious education
- News: BJC, others press Congress to prohibit discrimination in future COVID-19 response legislation
- News: Federal court in New York halts worship service restrictions, citing George Floyd protests (July 3, 2020)
- News: California church appeals to U.S. Supreme Court as governor announces new guidelines for opening houses of worship (May 26, 2020)
- News: 6th Circuit sides with Kentucky church in first COVID-19 religious liberty case to reach federal appeals court (May 22, 2020)
- Podcast: Lawsuits challenging COVID-19 directives (April 23, 2020)
- News: Update on religious liberty cases before the U.S. Supreme Court (April 17, 2020)
- News: Justice Department sides with Mississippi church in coronavirus dispute, other lawsuits move forward (April 16, 2020)
- News: New Hampshire judge upholds bans on gatherings, dismisses religious liberty complaint (March 23, 2020)
- News: U.S. Supreme Court postpones arguments (March 19, 2020)
- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship resources and updates
- Information and resources from American Baptist Churches USA
- American Baptist Home Mission Societies: Guidance, litany, prayer
- Articles from The Christian Citizen (a publication of ABHMS)
- Progressive National Baptist Convention response
- Resources for your church from the Baptist General Association of Virginia
- Resources from the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of North Carolina
- COVID-19 page from the Baptist General Convention of Texas
- Information for pastors and churchs from the National Baptist Convention of America International, Inc.
- Resources from National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
- Ministry amidst pandemic page from North American Bapitst Conference
- Information from the Alliance of Baptists